Cross-linking treatment in corneal infections is among the preferred treatment options for eye diseases, as can be seen from the title. The cornea is a structure called a thin layer, located just above the eye structure. Many people who complain of conditions such as visual impairments or dry eyes may experience deterioration of the corneal structure.
Cross-linking treatment, which is preferred in corneal infections, is among the most used and high success rate treatment options today. With this process, it is ensured that the number of bonds between collagen structures within the cornea is increased and the cornea has a more robust structure.
At the same time, ultraviolet A ray and riboflavin are used with this method. It is one of the solutions that both patients and doctors are comfortable with thanks to its highly technological method.
What are Corneal Infections?
Cornea, which is a very important structure for the eye, is also discussed and examined from time to time with the question of what are corneal infections. Cornea, which can be easily damaged or deformed within the scope of being a sensitive structure, can also encounter infectious diseases.
This health problem, which occurs when various bacteria and fungi reach the eye, can manifest itself with many symptoms. For example, if you want to use
- Watering in the eye
- Intensive formation of burrs
- Feeling of pain in the eye
- Staining and whitening on the surface of the cornea
It is considered as the main observable symptoms. If you are observing one or more of these symptoms, it is advisable to report the condition to your doctor without neglecting it. Because this health problem can even cause you to lose your eyesight over time.
What Area Is Looking at Corneal Infections?
Cornea, which is defined by having a sensitive structure and also being in an important place in terms of eye health, can face various negative conditions, especially infections. You can easily find out which area is looking at corneal infections and in which department this disorder is treated.
With this question pattern, all other eye problems, especially corneal infections, are treated in the eye health and diseases department. When you visit the hospital, you can contact an ophthalmologist who is an expert in the field and express this health problem you are experiencing.
As a result of several tests and examinations to be performed, the treatment options that can be applied for corneal infection will be explained to you by the surgeon. Within the scope of this process, you can easily start treatment by learning about other situations to be considered.
What is Cross-linking in Corneal Infections?
Cross-linking on the cornea in terms of eye health is one of the details covered in many aspects. This treatment option, which you can examine with the question of what is cross-linking, is explained in topics such as what it means and how it is applied.
This treatment method, which is translated into Turkish as corneal cross-linking and whose main purpose is to increase the number of cross-ligaments, is carried out by ophthalmous doctors in operating room conditions. This method, which is applied in order to make the cornea tighter and more robust, also helps to eliminate the problem of infection.
Cross-linking treatment consisting of 2 different stages is one of the procedures that requires a lot of attention, although it is explained as a simple operation. It is applied with local anesthesia and it is also aimed to make the patients comfortable.
How to Cross-linking Corneal Infections?
The question of how to cross-linking is one of the contents of this surgery. As mentioned before, this operation, which requires a lot of attention, must be carried out by the team that is an expert in the field. Otherwise, eye health will not improve at the desired level.
The necessary process in relation to cross-linking process is described in the following articles.
- Before the procedure, anesthetic drops are dripped into the eye and numb.
- Immediately afterwards, the eye and its surroundings are made more sterile.
- It is attached to the blephrosis , keeping the eye open throughout the process.
- In the first stage, the process of scraping the corneal epithelium to be 8.5-9 mm is applied and the corneal thickness is measured.
- Riboflavin solution is applied to the eye every two minutes for 20 minutes after measurement.
- After 20 minutes, the corneal thickness is measured again and is expected to be at least 400 micro.
- Because this limit is very important for radiation therapy.
- After obtaining the expected thickness, radiation therapy is started and this treatment takes an average of 20 minutes.
- During the ray treatment, the solution is continued to be applied every 2 minutes.
- At the end, the cornea is completely washed and both bandage and contact lens are attached to the eye.
These steps, out sorted, describe how cross-linking treatment occurs. You can ask your doctor about other issues you have in mind or wonder about this process or investigate them through reliable sources.
Cross-linking Surgery with Microsurgery
Today, the preference of microsurgery method in many areas is frequently investigated as to whether it is used in this surgery. However, when looking at the surgical process described above, it is possible to understand that the microsurgery option is not preferred in this treatment.
Instead, you can examine the preferred treatment options for corneal infection problem or research the topics presented in cross-linking surgery with microsurgery. It is recommended that you contact your doctor and use the correct information if you do not reach the conclusion you want to know.
Cross-linking operation, which seems quite easy but requires a lot of attention, is among the surgical interventions performed on the cornea. After the completion of the operation, you can see the effects of the operation more quickly by learning about the healing process and other situations to be considered.
Advantages of Cross-linking Surgery with Microsurgery
The advantages of cross-linking surgery with microsurgery are one of the contents discussed with the idea that this method is used. However, when you do a little research on the subject, you may notice that this method is not preferred. Instead, you can look at what advantages cross-linking method used in corneal infections has. For example, if you want to use
- To be a quality method for improving corneal health
- Discharge of patients on the same day
- Minimum complications
- Reducing the risk of recurrence of the disease with the measures to be taken after the operation
Cross-linking method, which has various advantages such as, is one of the preferred treatment options in both private and public hospitals. You can find out all your other curiosities about this treatment method by consulting your doctor.
After Cross-linking Surgery with Microsurgery
About this method applied within the scope of corneal infections, the postoperative process is investigated under the heading of cross-linking surgery. After the application of this simple but attention-intensive method, there are certain situations that patients should pay attention to. These are described below in order.
- According to many specialists, there is no obligation to be hospitalized after the procedure.
- Considering that feelings such as stinging, watering and pain may occur, it is recommended that patients rest for the first few days.
- If there are drugs recommended by the doctor, it is quite important to use these drugs in a timely manner and in the specified amount.
- If complications increase, you should go to the nearest health care provider or report the situation to your doctor.
Within the scope of this process described above, you can speed up the healing process by taking care of the situations that are recommended and that you should pay attention to. At the same time, it will be explained to you by your doctor that you need to pay extra attention to details such as eye hygiene and eye circumference care.